History of Property in Troy and Rensselaer County

Tracking the History of Property in Troy and Rensselaer County, New York

Troy is a city with great numbers of historic buildings, including homes as well as industrial, commercial, educational and religious architecture. Clearly identifiable neighborhoods have grown up around these historical buildings that provide a foundation for the development of the neighborhoods. Because of the importance of this historic architecture, property owners, historic preservationists and neighborhood activists have become increasingly interested in the ownership of homes and land in the City of Troy, New York. This brief listing provides a general overview of the most important records for studying property ownership in Troy and Rensselaer County, New York. Some of the records are located at the Rensselaer County Historical Society, while others may be found at the county clerk’s office and elsewhere.
Deeds, etc.: These are found at the Rensselaer County Clerk’s Office, 3rd and Congress Streets, Troy. The County Clerk’s Office, is the central place for all land transactions in Rensselaer County, including maps, mortgages, deeds, foreclosures and other related records.

Leases: Most of Rensselaer County was originally possessed by the Van Rensselaer family (generally all of the county except the city of Troy, village of Lansingburgh, and towns of Pittstown, Hoosick and Schagticoke). There were several thousand tenants, about 3000 in the early 19th century, who leased their lands from the Van Rensselaer “patroons.” Many of the leases, indexed by surname, are in the Manuscripts and Special Collections of the New York State Library. The Van Rensselaer Manor Papers at the State Library also include surveys of property and maps of the manor lands as well as rent books listing tenants and their annual rental payments to the Van Rensselaer family.

Title Searches: There are numerous companies in the Capital District, including some in Troy, that do title searches of property. RCHS has the Charles Cohen Collection that consists of title search files for property in Troy and Rensselaer County that were done in the late 20th century. This collection is partially indexed.

City Directories: City directories for Troy from 1832 to 1999 are available in the RCHS library. The city directories include a wide range of information including names of government officials, advertisements of businesses, and other data about the city. The major portion of a city directory is the list of residents, with their addresses and usually with their occupations noted, in the city for each year. The directories may be searched by name only through 1914. Beginning in 1915, the directory also includes a House Directory that allows searching by street address as well as name. Beginning about 1860, Lansingburgh, West Troy (i.e. Watervliet), Cohoes, Waterford and Green Island began to be included in the Troy directories. The City of Rensselaer is included in the Albany city directories.

Surrogate’s Court Records: The records of the Surrogate’s Court have been microfilmed and are available on microfilm at the County Clerk’s Office. The original paper records for 1791 to 1916 are in the collections of RCHS and are indexed by surname in an automated database available only at RCHS. These files may have a small or great amount of information depending upon various factors. A typical file may contain a deceased person’s will, an inventory of the estate of the deceased, letters of administration given to executors (often children or other relatives of the deceased) responsible for the estate and other legal documents with family names and information with potential value for tracing the history of a family, estate or house.

Cartographic Resources: Maps and atlases of Troy may show buildings, lots, property owner’s names and other pertinent data useful for studying the history of houses and neighborhoods. Using maps with a range of dates will help represent the changes over time of the neighborhoods and city generally. Some useful atlases are:
Beers, F.W., County Atlas of Rensselaer, New York, New York, F.W. Beers, 1876.
French, J.H., Gazetteer of the State of New York, Syracuse, R.P. Smith, 1860.
Hopkins, G.M., City Atlas of Troy, NY, Philadelphia, G.M. Hopkins, 1881. 
Sanborn Map Company, Insurance Maps of Troy, New York, New York, Sanborn Map Company, ca.1903-1950.
Single sheet maps of Troy and other parts of Rensselaer County are also in the collection of RCHS and can be searched in the card catalog.Other libraries and archives also have maps; the Rensselaer County Clerk’s Office has land maps for places in Rensselaer County; the New York State Library has maps of Troy and the county as well as Sanborn Insurance Atlases of Troy for 1876 in hard copy and other years on microfilm. The State Library also has insurance maps on microfilm for other places in the county, including Castleton, Hoosick Falls, Lansingburgh, Rensselaer, Schagticoke and Valley Falls. The Troy Public Library has insurance maps of Rensselaer County on microfilm.Panoramic maps of Troy (1877) and Castleton (1884) are available at RCHS and give an overall birds-eye view of these communities while showing individual buildings.

Photographs: There are several thousand photographs in the RCHS collection, including many of houses, chiefly in Troy, both exterior and interior views, and street scenes. The photographs are not indexed; copies of the photos are filed in broad subject categories in binders. A preservation survey of homes and other buildings done in 1970 of buildings in downtown Troy and along 1st and 3rd Avenues in Lansingburgh is in the RCHS library and includes very brief descriptions of buildings as well as photographs of them taken in 1970. 
Building Permits: The City of Troy Code Enforcement Bureau has records for the past two years only in its office. Earlier records are placed in records storage. For information about access to building permit records, you must contact the Code Enforcement Bureau. Building records prior to 1938 were probably lost when the City Hall burned.

Newspapers and Published Books: When attempting to date a house, knowing the characteristics of the style of the house can be very helpful in dating its construction. The RCHS library has books with information about architectural styles. RCHS also has all the basic published histories of Troy and Rensselaer County and these books may have information, including pictures about buildings. The Troy Public Library and New York State Library have Troy newspapers on microfilm dating from the 19th century to the present. Newspapers may have articles about the construction, renovation, or demolition of buildings, particularly large, non-residential buildings. The Troy Public Library also has a large scrapbook collection of newspaper articles and other historical items that has been microfilmed and indexed.

National State Registers of Historic Sites: RCHS has a file of National Register of Historic Places Registration Forms that include information on sites nominated for the national register. The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, Historic Preservation Field Services Bureau on Peebles Island, Waterford, NY has further information about historic site registration.

Internet Web Sites: Searching web sites may be helpful in finding clues to the history of buildings. Here are a few sites to check:
www.troynet.net
home.nycap.rr.com/content/us_troy.html
www.rootsweb.com/~nyrensse/

If you have other questions about a building in Troy or Rensselaer County, please call the Rensselaer County Historical Society at 518-272-7232.

Bethesda Hospital

Bethesda Home, Lansingburgh, New York
Records Inventory – Accession 82.47

Historical Note – Bethesda Home (1902 – 1982):
The Bethesda Home was founded as a privately funded institution in 1902 in Lansingburgh, New York and was operated until 1982. The Home was managed by a Board of Directors, a Superintendent and in later years a Board of Women Managers also provided assistance. It was founded for older women who were homeless or destitute, although in its early years it cared for children and younger women as well. The Home was funded by donations from Protestant churches in the city as well as from endowments and legacies made by the residents of the Home and their families. The home was located at two places in Lansingburgh and one address in Watervliet; for most of its history it was located at Second Avenue and 113th Street [pw_map address=”5 113th street, troy,ny” width=”400px” height=”200px”] in Lansingburgh. For many years, there was a Bethesda Home Circle and a Friendship Circle of people who assisted by providing linens, preparing monthly suppers and providing entertainment for the residents of the Home.

As the 20th century progressed and progressive social welfare laws, such as Social Security and Medicare were legislated, the need for private residences such as the Bethesda Home decreased and there were fewer applications for residence there. The Home closed in 1982 after arranging to donate their assets to the Eddy Memorial Geriatric Center, Troy, New York. The Eddy was to provide care until decease of the ladies from the Home who moved to the Eddy.  The Presbyterian Home Association also closed around this time and the Bethesda Home and Presbyterian Home Association assets were used to build what is known as the Bethesda-Presbyterian Wing of the Eddy. The last president of the Bethesda Board of Directors was Frank McKnight.

Scope of Records:
The Bethesda Home archives include the Constitution of the Home, Minutes of the Board of Directors, including Treasurer’s Reports, Minutes of the Board of Women Managers, Inspection Reports by the NY State Board of Charities and Dept. of Social Welfare, Annual Reports of the Home and Annual Reports of the Home made for the State Board of Charities, deeds to cemetery lots, wills of residents, Daily Register of Events, House and Home Registers of residents and financial records, including journals, donations, bills and receipts. They provide a detailed documentation of the history of the Home. There are only a few photographs.

Size: 8 boxes and 1 package

 

Container List:


Box 1:  Constitution, Minutes of Board of Directors of the Bethesda Home of Troy, Revision, 1921

Minutes of the Board of Directors, including Treasurer’s reports, bound volumes, as follows:

v. 1: March 17,1902-February 1/1913, includes minutes and Articles of Incorporation, 11/3/1909; also, dedication of Home, 1/20/1910 with scripture selections read at dedication, list of directors, officers, committees, representatives of churches from Troy and Watervliet and rules of the Home.

v. 2: March 1913-May 1925, minutes

v. 3: June 1925-June 1933, minutes

v. 4: July 1933-December 1938, minutes

v. 5:  January 1939-December 1952 (unbound); Treasurer’s Reports, 1944-1952; also Roll Call of Church Representatives to Board of Managers, 1943-1952(includes names of Board of Managers, names of residents of Home and names of people on waiting list).


Box 2:  Minutes of the Board of Women Managers

Bound volumes,  follows:

  • January 1958-December 1961
  • January 1962-December 1967
  • February 1968-December 1976
  • Inspection Reports, May 1927, May 1937-December 1939, including information about dinners, events at Bethesda Home, health of the residents, donations of gifts and other matters.
  • Reports of General Inspection by NYS Board of Charities, later the NYS Dept. of Social Welfare, 1922, 1922-1923, 1927-1930, 1933.  Also, letter s from NYS Dept. of Social Welfare, 1967; Operating Certificates from New York State , 1974, 1975, 1979.
  • Monthly Reports of a Private Home for the Aged, 1954-1958.
  • Miscellaneous correspondence with NYS Dept. of Social Welfare,  1965; also, Report of a Long-Term Care Home, Bethesda Home, n.d.

Box 3:  Annual Reports

  • First A.R., 1902-1903, printed, 2 copies
  • Second to Thirteenth A.R., 1903-1915, printed, 2 copies of all ex. Second A.R.
  • 20t h A.R., 1922
  • 24th-42nd A.R., 1925-1944, 1949, 1951, typescripts
  • Annual Reports to NYS Board of Charities and NYS Dept. of Social Welfare, 1917, 1920-1923, 1931, 1933, 1941-1943, 1945-1947, 1949-1950, 1964-1967, 1969.
  • Duplicate copies of printed annual reports, 4th, 5th, 8th-13th.
  • 25th Anniversary of Bethesda Home, 2nd Ave. and 113th St., Troy, 1902-1927, 8 copies, includes list of Board of Directors, Board of Managers, Representatives of the Board of Managers; also financial statement of BH, 1927.
  • Reports, minutes of meetings, correspondence of the Investment Committee of BH, 1932-1951, mainly about stocks and mortgage sales.
  • Deeds to burial lots in New Mount Ida Cemetery, 1897, Albany Rural Cemetery,, Woodlawn Cemetery, Schodack, Elmwood Cemetery, Schagticoke,  1880, 1882, Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery, 1924.
  • Receipts for perpetual care of graves, Albany Rural Cemetery
  • Proprietor’s tickets, (2), Albany Rural Cemetery
  • Mortgages and other documents re: to the purchase of the Bethesda Home property on Second Avenue; also bank books with Union National Bank, 1919, 1931-1939, and Troy Savings Bank, 1934-1940.

Box 4:  Wills and related estate records

Including bank books, insurance premium as follows:

Folder 1:

Sophia Arff, 1931
Frances Barnes, 1938
Cora E. Bruce, 1934
Helen Carpenter, n.d.
Adelina Clark, 1931
Ella A. Cozine, 1931
Mrs. May Lenox Sims Crawford, 1927
Mary Crounse, letter, 1928
Mary J. Fanshaw, 1931
Emma Goodspeed, 1931
Celia Groat, 1931
Sarah Hall, 1931
Jennie E. Hartwick, 1928

Folder 2:

Belle Hendry, 1935
Margaret Hotaling, 1933
Wilhemina Hughes, 1931
Ida Gertrude Kennedy, 1931

Folder 3:

Caroline E. Liney, 1914
Mary Lean, 1931
Mary Kullman, 1931
Charlotte King, 1931

Folder 4:

Emma Lockrow, 1931
Elizabeth Long, 1931
Ella McCrea, 1931
Elizabeth Nash, 1931
Elizabeth M. Nelson, 1920

Folder 5:

Hattie Osterhoudt, 1935
Angelia Palmer, 1931
Frances Palmer, 1931
Mary E. Graham Phipps, 1924
Mary C. Quackenbush, 1931
Florence Saal, 1931

Folder 6:

Frances Yout, 1931
Anna Wetsell, 1931
Mary J. Todd, 1931
Emma Tubbs, 1931
Welling, Lindsley J., 1932
Laura Ophelia Tilley, 1934
Katherine Sherman, 1931
Jane Sherman, 1936


Box 5:  Daily Register/Diary of events at Bethesda Home, 2 vols.,

June 1916-March 26, 1918 and January 1, 1927-December 31, 1927.

These diaries note weather, visits to residents of Home or visits by residents away from the Home, church attendance, inspections, health of residents, and other events.

House Registers, 2 volumes,  1911-1930 and 1918-1957. These include names of residents of the Home during particular years, sometimes with ages given, and a few pages in one volume with details about birth, death, parent’s names of particular residents.

Bethesda Home Register, 1 volume, 1902-1927, register of names of people who came as residents or employees of the Home with date, age, city of residence, and remarks (how and why the person came to the Home and same information about leaving); in chronological order. There are also pages of records of individual residents with more information about them and their residence at Bethesda Home, ca. 1920-1928. Also, a few records of deaths of residents, 1912-1924.


Box 6:  Record Book of Donations, 1902-1927, 1 volume.

  • Lists donations of food and other goods to the Bethesda Home from various individuals, churches and organizations. Also, includes chronological notes about meetings of various groups and donations made to the Home.
  • Ledgers, 3 volumes, of income and expenditures, in broad categories, “care of inmates,” “groceries and provisions,” “individual gifts,” “dues and fines,” “repairs,” “endowment fund income,” and so forth, 1924-1929, 1930-1933, 1934-1943.
  • Daybooks of receipts and expenditures, 4 volumes, 4/1/1909-10/1/1921;  10/8/1921-9/23/1929; 10/1/1929-12/31/37;  1/1/1938-3/31/1945.

Box 7:  Journals of daily receipts and disbursements of the Home

4 volumes, as follows:

  • 4/1/1909-10/1/1921
  • 10/8/1921-9/23/1929
  • 10/1/29-12/31/1937
  • 1/1/1938-3/31/1945

Box 8:  Miscellaneous framed items

As follows:

  • Notice of workmen’s compensation compliance, 1933
  • Photograph of Bethesda Home, 1902-1982, 504 Second Avenue,  Lansingburgh, 1920-1982.
  • Group photograph of ladies in residence at Bethesda Home, n.d., ca. 1940
  • Printing block with photograph of Bethesda Home at 504 Second Ave.
  • Rules of Bethesda Home, Article I: Matron and Article II: Residents, 2 copies, one framed.

Box 9:  Folder of bills and receipts from various businesses

  • Mainly Troy related, providing supplies or services to the Bethesda Home, 1928-1949.
  • Folder of newspaper clippings about Bethesda Home, 1914-1980.
  • Folder of unidentified photographs; also newspaper photograph of Leggett family, including Mrs. John Leggett, who was the first president of the Home.
  • Folder of blank Application for Admission of the Home and three Admission and Discharge forms with information about residents; also copy of the rules of the Bethesda Home; also printed “Bethesda Home Tale” entitled Transformed.
  • Folder of miscellaneous material, including a report of the Corresponding Secretary of the Home for 1942-1943; some correspondence, a list of residents with their ages, bond of John T. Lee to Robert Robinson, West Troy, 1868.

Package I: Incorporation certificate of the Bethesda Home from the NYS Board of Charities, October 13, 1909.

American Seal Manufacturing Company

Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY

Records, ca. 1914-1978.

Extent: Less than 1 cu. ft.

Historical Note: American Seal was the primary brand of ready-mixed paints and varnishes produced by the William Connors Paint Manufacturing Company. Connors established a business on Hill Street in Troy in 1878 and moved to River Street in 1889. The company changed ownership several times over more than a century and has operated under several different names. The Connors Company built a building at 669 River Street in Troy in 1898. In 1971 the company was acquired by Monsey Products, and it moved from its long-time home on River Street to facilities in Waterford in 1979.

Scope and Content: Records maintained by Monsey Products in Waterford, as successor to American Seal relate almost entirely to the years since the company moved from Troy in 1978 . There are, however, some blueprints of the company’s River Street building, ca. 1914, an insurance appraisal of the firm’s property from 1949, and a few pieces of promotional material.

Location: Monsey Products Company, 430 Hudson River Rd., Waterford, NY 12188. For access, contact the company.

American Seal Manufacturing Company.gif

Materials Outside the Capital District: The Special Collections Department of the University of California, Santa Barbara Library has some trade catalogs of the William Connors Paint Manufacturing Company in its trade catalog collection.

The Archives Center of the National Museum of American History at the Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., has a few folders of promotional materials of William Connors Company and American Seal Manufacturing, ca. 1910-1930 in the Warshaw Collection of Business Americana.

Cluett, Peabody, and Company

Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY

Records, 1879-1982 (inclusive), 1900-1960 (bulk)

Extent: ca. 415 cu. ft.

Location: Rensselaer County Historical Society, 57 Second St., Troy, NY 12180.

Scope and Content: The Cluett, Peabody archives consist chiefly of financial records and advertising materials documenting the collar and shirt manufacturing business based in Troy. The collection is strongest for the first half of the twentieth century. Financial records include cash journals and receipts, expense ledgers, stock ledgers, sales records, and bank records. SomeBoard minutes and payroll records are also present. There are also files for Cluett, Peabody, Canada and other records documenting the company’s extensive international activities. Advertising records include scrapbooks, salesmen’s catalogs, trade catalogs, photographs, and product samples. Copies of patent records from the U.S. Patent Office document many clothing patents including those of numerous Troy patentees. The collection also includes the personal papers of Sanford Cluett, documenting the development of the Sanforizing process, and including diaries, scrapbooks, correspondence, and photographs.

ADVERTISEMENT FROM TROY CITY DIRECTORY, 1950

ADVERTISEMENT FROM TROY CITY DIRECTORY, 1950

Historical Note: Cluett, Peabody traces its origins in Troy back to 1850, and it grew to be the largest of Troy's collar and cuff manufacturers. It manufactured Arrow shirts in Troy for many years and continued to maintain a research facility in the city until about 1990.

Collins Lumber Corporation

Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY

Records, 1989-

Historical Note: Collins Lumber Corporation was founded in 1888. For many years it operated as Charles Collins & Sons. In addition to selling lumber and hardware, the firm has a long history of manufacturing custom mill work pieces for construction and in recent years has played an important role in the renovation of Troy’s historic architectural heritage. Collins Truss Systems, Inc. is a subsidiary firm.

Scope and Content: A disastrous fire in 1989 destroyed the first century of Collins’ lumber’s business records. Current records maintained are chiefly accounting records, sales records, and payroll records.

Location: Collins Lumber, 2742 Sixth Ave., Troy, NY 12180. For access, contact the company.

F.C. Huyck and Sons

Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY

Records, ca. 1815-1970.

Extent: ca. 1 cu. ft.

Huyck Mills were manufacturers of paper maker’s felts, wool jackets, and bed blankets. Originally based in Rensselaerville, New York, the firm relocated to the city of Rensselaer in 1894 after a fire destroyed their mill in Rensselaer. The business was sold and subsequently closed in the early 1980s.

Scope and Content: Consists of a scrapbook of documents and photos (1815-1947) showing the history of the firm that was presented as a commemorative to one of the firm’s executives. There is also an album of photographs of the mill, 1912, including photos of machinery and employees, some annual reports from 1964 to 1975, a centennial history done in 1970, and copies of the company newsletter The Huyck Feltmaker (1964-1972).

Note: The New York State Library contains 30 volumes of Huyck family business records from 1839 to 1890 that document their business activities before moving to the city of Rensselaer.

Garden Way Manufacturing Company

Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY

Records, ca. 1960-

Extent: ca. 168 cu. ft.

Historical Note: Garden Way’s roots are in the Rototiller Company founded in 1930 by Cadwallader Washburn Kelsey. Kelsey moved his operation to the Lansingburgh section of Troy in 1937. After his retirement in 1957, his chief engineer George Done purchased the supply business of the company. In 1961 Done invented a new rototiller which came to be christened the Troy-Bilt Rototiller. The name of the company became Garden Way Manufacturing. The company maintains manufacturing and office facilities in Troy and in East Greenbush as well as in other locations in the United States.

Scope and Content: These records consist primarily of advertising and marketing materials. They include detailed information on Garden Way’s marketing plans through magazine advertisements and through direct sales at temporary locations around the country. Includes log books recording serial numbers and names and addressees of purchasers of Troy-Bilt tillers. Also includes auxiliary enterprises including copies of gardening books published by Garden Way Publishing and video tapes of gardening tips broadcast on television.

Location: Rensselaer County Historical Society, 57 Second St., Troy, NY 12180

Geier & Bluhm, Inc.

Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY

Records, 1915-

Extent: ca. 175 cu. ft.

Historical Note: In 1907 two young immigrants, James Geier (from Switzerland) and Joseph Bluhm (from Hungary) joined together to establish a business to manufacture surveying instruments. Geier & Bluhm was incorporated in 1922. In the 1930s the rights to manufacturing its surveying instruments were sold to the Bostrom Brady Manufacturing Company, and Geier and Bluhm gained the rights to distribute Bostrom Brady instruments in the Troy area. Geier & Bluhm concentrated on the manufacture of spirit levels, which continues to be the firm’s principal product.

Scope and Content: A fairly complete run of accounting records extending back to the early years of the company includes ledgers and ledger sheets (1915-1929), cash books (1915-1926), inventories and accounts (1917-1925), bank books, trial balances, and a stock purchase book (1925-1927). Later records include employee records, and long runs of purchase orders, customer orders, paid bills, and cash journals. Product related records include blueprints and drawings for instruments, patent information, product literature, catalogs, and other promotional material. There are some photographs and clippings relating to Geier & Bluhm products and people associated with the business.

Location: Geier & Bluhm Inc., 594 River Street, Troy, NY 12180. For access contact the company.

Grafton Anti-Rent Mutual Protection Association

Records, 1824-1867

Historical Note:
There appears to be little known about this organization. It seems to have been active from about 1843 until 1867, although it may have been active previous to and after those dates. The members appeared to have been assessed fees based upon a cost per acre of land owned (at one time, 3 cents per acre) and among other functions, the fees were used to fund the costs of attorneys in lawsuits related to the anti-rent crisis. 
On December 20, 1844, Elijah Smith and his uncle Plumb Martin, lumbermen in Grafton, were surrounded by about fifty “Indians” and during that incident, Smith was shot by Norman Goyer and died later. There is a receipt for payment by Goyer to the Grafton Anti-Rent MPA in the papers. In 1854, the Van Rensselaer family sold most of their remaining lands to Walter S. Church. Church brought hundreds of lawsuits to eject tenants for non-payment of rent and many tenant families who had worked the land for generations lost their lands. The receipts for payment for counsel, particularly to attorney, Anson Brigham, indicate that the MPA was fighting lawsuits for their lands until at least 1867.

Scope Note:
These records are chiefly financial and include receipts and lists of residents of Grafton who were supporting the organization. They provide one of the scarce sources of the names of those who may have been “Indians” in the anti-rent dispute that continued for nearly three decades.

Item List:


Folder 1:
Two receipts from the Rensselaer County Mutual Insurance Company to Henry Hydorn, April 21, 1842 and Sept. 20, 1843


Folder 2:
Lists of member of the Grafton Anti-Rent MPA with amounts of money received from them as part of their dues as members, six lists, four undated, one dated Nov. 5, 1861 and one dated March 12, 1859 (assessment for this was 3 cents per acre). Surnames such as Wagar, Hydorn, Lawler, McChesney, Littlefield, Dunham, Clickner, Hayner, Emerson, Bonesteel, Goyer, Coonradt, Shaver and others.


Folder 3:
Two receipts for subscriptions to the Albany Freeholder; to Peter T. Hydorn, dated Nov. 19, 1847 and July 6, 1847, signed by A.G. Johnson for C. F. Bouton.


Folder 4:
Promises to pay and receipts to individuals for payments of the Grafton Anti-Rent MPA, 1843-1863. Receipts made to the following persons, who it probably can be assumed were members of this semi-secret Association.

 

Allen, Jeremiah, 1853-1861
Barringer, Peter D., 1853-1857
Baxter, Sophia, 1855
Bonesteel, Jonas, 1854-1860
Bornt, Joel, 1858-1860
Branshaw, Israel, 1859-1860
Brock, Benjamin, 1855
Clickner, Adam, 1853-1860
Clickner, Sylvester, 1853-1859
Coonrad, George, 1853
Coonradt, George W., 1863
Coonradt, William P., 1857-1860
Coons, William W., 1853-1859
Crandall, David W. 1853-1857
Dunham, Bradley, 1860
Dunham, William L. B., 1853-1857
Durkee, John B., 1862
Emerson, David, 1859-1860
Ford, Ira B., 1853-1861
Gibson, John W., 1859-1860
Goyer, Norman, 1854-
Hayner, George P., 1855
Hayner, Henry F., 1856-1859
Hayner, William, 1854-1859
Hydorn, David, 1853-1861
Hydorn, Peter T., 1853-1859
Hydorn, William, 1853-1859
Lawler, Edward, 1861
Littlefield, H.W., 1854-1861
Littlefield, Hiram B., 1853-1861
McChesney, J.M., 1855-1860

 

McChesney, Richard, 1854-1860
McChesney, Walter B., 1854-1861
McChesney, William J., 1855-
Murphy, David, 1861
Ott, Adam, 1854-1860
Reynolds, Thomas, 1857-1861
Rifenburgh, George, 1857
Rifenburgh, Nelson, 1863
Shaver, Christian, 1855-1860
Shaver, James H., 1855-1859
Shaver, Nathan, 1855-1857
Simmons, David L., 1859
Simmons, William H. ,1855-
Smith, John L., 1855-1860
Snyder, Adam, 1853-1861
Snyder, Jacob, 1853-1857
Tilley, Nelson, 1859
Wagar, Adam, 1861
Wager, George, 1855-1857
Wagar, Peter, 1853-1861
Wagar, Jacob, 1853-1861
Wagar, William H., 1855-1861
Snyder, George, 1863
Wagar, Adam H., 1853-1861
Wilds, T. B., 1853-1859
Wagar, Adam, 1853-1860
Wager, Henry L., 1853-1860
Wagar, Jacob P., 1853-1860
Wagar, Simeon, 1853-1857
Weeden, James, Jr., 1861
Wagar, William N., 1853-1860


Folder 5:
Eight receipts to Executive Committee of the Grafton Anti-Rent MPA for payments to Bennajah Allen, Treasurer of the MPA, 1843-1844


Folder 6:
Orders (7) to Peter T. Heydorn, Treasurer from William Heydorn to pay various sums of money to various members of the MPA, 1853-1861.

One receipt of money received from Peter Hydorn for blacksmithing, 1853.


Folder 7:

Receipts of payments made to Peter Hydorn and others related to payment for counsels in “Indian suits,” and other actions, 1853-1867.

Gurley Precision Instruments, Inc.

Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY

Historical Note: Gurley Precision Instruments traces its origin to the partnership founded in 1845 by William Gurley and Jonas Phelps. William Gurley’s brother Lewis joined the firm in 1851. The Gurley brothers bought out Phelps in 1852, and the firm became W. & L.E. Gurley. The business remained under family control until 1968, when it became part of the high-tech corporation Teledyne and the name was changed to Teledyne Gurley. In the early 1990s Teledyne sold the company, and it became Gurley Precision Instruments. The firm originally manufactured surveying, hydrological, meteorological, and other technical instruments. More recently it has manufactured electro-optical encoders used in space vehicles, aircraft mapping cameras, navigation systems, and other applications.

Note: Records of Gurley Precision Instruments, Inc. are held by the New York State Museum and by the company itself. These collections are described separately.

A. – Records at NYSM

Records, 1854-1970 (inclusive), 1860-1920 (bulk)

Extent: ca. 300 cu. ft.

Scope and Content: Approximately 270 cubic feet of Gurley records were donated to the Smithsonian Institution in 1970. In 1995 these records were given to the New York State Museum, along with a collection of instruments manufactured by the company. An addendum of records was transferred from the company to the New York State Museum, and the result is that the bulk of the company’s records before 1970 are at the Museum. A small group of records remains at Gurley Precision Instruments, Inc.

Long runs of cash books, day books, cost books, order books, sales books, general ledgers, time books, and inventories, chiefly covering the years from 1860 to 1920. The collection also includes serial number books, 1908-1970, containing information on major instruments purchased by Gurley customers. Employees’ ledgers, 1853-1870 include payroll accounts. Also includes corporation minutes, 1900-1965; stockholders reports, 1920-1947, photographs of employees, factory views, and instruments. There is also a complete run (1855-1951) of the firm’s catalogue, “Manual of the Principal Instruments Used in American Engineering and Surveying, Manufactured by W. & L.E. Gurley, Troy, N.Y.”

The Gurley records also include records of other companies in which the firm had interest and of charitable organizations in which the Gurley family was involved. These include the Charles E. Wilder Thermometer Company of Peterboro, N.H., the Owens Grocery Co. (located in the Gurley building), the Troy & Bennington Railroad, the Rensselaer Agricultural Society, the Troy Orphan Asylum, and the Fifth Avenue Baptist Church in Troy.

Location: New York State Museum, Cultural Education Center, Albany, NY 12230.

B. – Records at Gurley Precision Instruments

Records, ca. 1862-1980.

Scope and Content: Serial number cards (1924-1968), serial number books for Gurley levels (1899-1910), patent papers, architectural drawings for the firm’s Fulton Street building, shop drawings for Gurley products, promotional publications.

Location: Gurley Precision Instruments, Inc., 514 Fulton St., Troy, NY 12180. For access, contact the company.

Integrated Book Technology, Inc. 2

Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY

Records, 1991-

Extent: ca. 75 cu. ft.

Historical Note: Integrated Book Technology utilizes modern electronic technologies to produce short runs of books for publishers and for individuals. The company was founded in 1991 by John Paeglow, who continues as its president and owner. The firm began its life in the Rensselaer Technology Park and in the summer of 1996 moved into larger quarters on Industrial Park Road in Troy. Most of the firm’s business consists of order from publishers for short runs (typically 250-2,000 copies) of books that have gone out of print. IBT scans the text of these books and then prints the sheets of the books from the digitized text. Sheets are shipped to the binder for binding and ultimate shipping to the customer.

Scope and Content: IBT maintains an internal database that contains information on all orders received and fulfilled by the company. Paper records for these orders are also currently maintained. Order records include the original quotation for the job and a series of forms requesting action and detailing specifications on various parts of the job, including scanning request, printing request, proofing request, cover request, bindery request, and invoice summary. The IBT database also includes the texts that have been produced in order to facilitate reprinting or remote access if necessary. The original printed copy that was used for scanning is also retained.

Location: Integrated Book Technology, Inc., 18 Industrial Park Rd., Troy, NY 12180. For access, contact the company.

John L. Thompson Sons & Company

Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY

Historical Note: John L. Thompson Sons & Company traces its origins in Troy back to 1797 when Dr. Samuel Gale Jr. opened an apothecary shop in the city. John L. Thompson joined the business in 1881, and his name was added to the firm in 1821. In 841 the business became John L. Thompson & Company. The business was primarily engaged in the wholesale drug trade, but also manufactured some patent medicines. The firm went out of business in 1990.

A. – Records at AIHA

Records, 1818-1889.

Extent: 132 items.

Scope and Content: A small collection of correspondence, bills, receipts, and order (1818-1889), including orders from the Watervliet Arsenal from 1827 to 1832.

Location: McKinney Library, Albany Institute of History and Art, 125 Washington Ave., Albany, NY 12210.

B. – Records at RCHS

Records, 1879-1986

Extent: 2 cu. ft.

Scope and Content: A small collection of stock ledgers (1880-1940), minutes ( 2 vols. 1903-1934, 1935-1940), personnel records (ca. 1895-1939), sales ledgers (1921-1925, 1973-1985), group of post card orders (1879), plus some miscellaneous correspondence.

Location: Rensselaer County Historical Society, 59 Second Street, Troy, NY 12180.

Note: A few records of John L. Thompson Sons & Company are in private hands. These include a salesman’s price book (ca. 1909), stock certificate record books, voting trust agreement, and correspondence relating to a 1972 anniversary booklet about the business. The bulk of the recent business records of the company appear not to have survived the dissolution of the business.

Ludlow Valve Manufacturing Company

Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY

Records, 1872-1969 (inclusive) 1930-1960 (bulk)

Extent: 1.5 linear ft.

Historical Note: Ludlow Valve produced sluice valves, foot valves, check valves, and hydrants. It was founded by Henry G. Ludlow in 1866 in Waterford and moved to Lansingburgh in 1872. Not many years thereafter it relocated to the foot of Adams Street in Troy where it continued to operate until the business was closed in 1969.

Scope and Content: Includes stockholders, financial reports, balance sheets, correspondence, catalogs and promotional materials, annual reports, order and transaction books. Also includes material on the Rensselaer Valve Company.

Location: Institute Archives and Special Collections, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY 12180

Materials outside the Capital District: The Special Collections Department of the University of California, Santa Barbara, Library has some trade catalogs of the Ludlow Valve Manufacturing Company in its trade catalog collection.

The Archives Center of the National Museum of American History at the Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C. has a folder of promotional materials of Ludlow Valve in the Warshaw Collection of Business Americana.

Manning Paper Company

Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY

Records, ca. 1856-1950

Extent: ca. 6 linear ft.

Historical Note: Manning Paper Company began in 1846 at the Mt. Ida Mill at the Poestenkill Gorge in Troy. Larger mills were established on River Street after the Civil War. The firm existed under various names, including Manning and Peckham and the John A. Manning Paper Company. Some facilities were moved to Green Island in 1912 and to Watervliet in 1918, but the Mt. Ida Mill was in operation until 1962. Manning is now a division of Lydall, Inc.

Scope and Content: Ledgers (1856-1900), journals, trial balances, payrolls (1912-1918), some accounts receivable, production records and run books.

Location: Hudson-Mohawk Industrial Gateway, Foot of Polk St., Troy, NY 12180.

Marcus Russell

United Spanish War Veterans

Camp Marcus D. Russell #2 Records

Rensselaer County sent troops to the Spanish-American War in Cuba in 1898 and one of these men, Marcus D. Russell was a member of Troop G, the Rough Riders, commanded by Theodore Roosevelt. Russell was killed in action at the battle of La Guasimas, Cuba on June 24, 1898. To honor his memory, the United Spanish War Veterans of Troy named their organization after him, i.e. Camp Marcus D. Russell #2. (A Surrogate Court record for Russell is in RCHS, File #278). One other Trojan died as a result of his service in Cuba; John Connolly, a bugler in Company D, First New York Infantry, was wounded and later died of yellow fever at his home at 484 Second Street, Troy, New York. Camp Russell was the second camp formed in the Department of New York of the U.S.W. V.. The first camp was formed in New York City and there were eventually about 131 camps in the Department of New York.

The Camp Russell group was an active participant in statewide and national meetings of the United Spanish War Veterans and remained active until 1968 with a commander at least until 1971. The records of Camp Russell consist of both local manuscript material and publications of the state and national organizations.

Container List:

Box 1:
Rules and Regulations of the United Spanish War Veterans, Boston, 1910 and Index volume, 1910. Includes mss. notes that these books are property of Camp Russell and its commander, Frank T. Wells and his successors, John Gillies and George Moore. (71.129.6-7).

Constitution and Rules and Regulations of the United Spanish War Veterans, Chicago, 1920. Note to give book to successor commander, i.e. Frank T. Wells to George Moore. (71.129.18) 
Constitution and Rules and Regulations of the United Spanish War Veterans, Washington, DC, 1951. (71.121.19)

Ritual of the United Spanish War Veterans, 1912. includes variety of information about conduct of meetings, colors, bugle calls, oaths, mustering and so forth. 2 copies. ((71.129.20, 32).

Book of Ceremonies of the United Spanish War Veterans, Forms and Procedures, 1912 with revisions from 1913, St. Louis, 1916, includes information about parades, installation of officers, muster days, memorial services, and so forth. (73.76.33)

Book of Ceremonies of the United Spanish War Veterans, 1928 edition. (71.129.21)

Box 2:
Minute Books of Monthly Meetings of Camp Russell #2, U.S.W. V., 1954-1965, 2 volumes. Meetings held at Noble-Callahan Post, Troy, New York. Minutes of business conducted at meeting, including treasurer’s reports, news of comrades who were ill or died, election of officers and other business. (71.129.22-23)

Ledger of names of U.S.W. V., Camp Russell members, ca. 1940-1961. The ledger is arranged alphabetically by veteran names and including name of veteran, address, occupation, dates of service, rank, company and regiment, discharge date, place and reason, date mustered into Camp Russell, birth place, and date, name and address of nearest relative, signature, remarks (deceased, transferred). (71.129.26)

Quartermaster’s Account Books of U.S.W.V., Camp Russell, 1955-1965, 2 volumes. The books include receipts and disbursements arranged monthly from January 1955-December 1959 and January 1960 to September 1965. Both volumes also include list of veterans who died 1957, 1958, 1959 (vol. 1) and 1960, 1961, (vol. 2). (71.129.24-25)

Ledger for recording dues paid by members, 1944-1961. Contains names and addresses of veterans with checkmarks for each year that dues were paid. Also has financial accounts of receipts and disbursements, 1952-1954. These accounts precede those accounts in above Quartermaster Accounts. (71.129.28)

Cards with memorial prayers and ritual programs to be used at meetings and memorial services. (71.129.40-44)

U.S.W. V., National Headquarters, Washington, DC, General Orders, 1962-1967. Include news of consolidated and disbanded camps, appointments, national encampments, convention programs, observances of holidays and other information. (71.129.35)

Forms used by U.S.W.V. for membership information , etc. An appointment form for John Gillies as Commander of Camp Russell, 1968. Also, one copy of the Proceedings of the …Convention of the 69th National Encampment of the U.S.W. V., San Antonio, Texas, 1967. (71.129.53)

Proceedings of the U.S.W.V., Dept. of New York, 65th Annual Encampment, Albany, NY 1968. Two letters from New York Dept. Commander Joseph A. Burkart to Camp Russell Commander Frank T. Wells about not disbanding the camp, which had 6 members in 1968. (71.129.54-56)

Flyer: Flag of Destiny, First Arkansas Infantry, Spanish War with statement on verso, “I am Proud to be a Spanish War Veteran.” (71.129.39)

Roster of the Camps, Dept. of New York, U.S.W.V., 1914 and Roster, 1962. Both include names of officers, names and addresses of the camps, local officers names, times of meetings and the 1962 roster includes the number of members for each camp. Also, a copy of the By-Laws of the M.D. Russell Camp No. 2, 1938. (71.129.36-38)

Program for a concert, review and reception of the Companies A, B, D of Troy and Company B of Cohoes of Camp Russell, at State Armory, Troy, NY April 27, 1905. Includes music played, order of dances, officers names.

Bulletin of U.S.W.V., Department of New York, 1961-1971. Includes names of officers, committees, resolutions, information about encampments, memorials, and elections. (71.129.34)

Blank letterhead stationary of U.S.W.V. M.D. Russell Camp No. 2. (71.129.27)

Marvin Neitzel Corporation

Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY

Records, ca. 1928-

Extent: ca. 50 cu. ft.

Historical Note: Marvin Neitzel Corporation, manufacturer of nurses uniforms, traces its heritage back to a collar and cuff manufacturing company founded in Troy in 1845 by William Gunnison and Walter Stewart. Through the nineteenth century the firm evolved into Gunnison, Stewart and Company, Gunnison and Son, and then Gunnison and Marvin in 1886 when E. W. Marvin joined the firm. The firm was incorporated in 1908 as E. W. Marvin Company. Although nurses’ collars and cuffs had been part of the business for years, it was not until after Raymond P. Neitzel joined the firm in 1917 that a full line of hospital products was developed. The firm became Marvin Neitzel Corporation in 1931. Long located at Fifth and Fulton Street in Troy, the company moved to 444 River Street in 1974.

Scope and Content: Board minutes, by-laws annual statement of accounts (1928-1956), legal and patent papers, a few specs for clothing, and an appraisal of the Fifth Avenue property. The bulk of the records, however, date from after the firm’s relocation to River street in 1974. These include accounting records, orders, invoices, and payrolls.

Location: Marvin Neitzel Corporation, 444 River St., Troy, NY 12180. For access, contact the company.

Meneely Bell Company

Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY

Historical Note: The Meneely Bell Company of Troy was established in 1870 by Clinton H. Meneely and George H. Kimberly as Meneely and Kimberly. It was reorganized in 1880 as the Clinton H. Meneely Company and was later reorganized as the Meneely Bell Company. It should not be confused with the older Meneely and Company established in 1826 by Andrew Meneely in Watervliet, NY.

Note: Records of Meneely Bell Company can be found at the Hudson-Mohawk Gateway and at the New York State Library. These collections are described separately.

A. – Records at Hudson-Mohawk Gateway

Records, 1871-1952

Extent: ca. 3 cu. ft.

Scope and Content: The bulk of the collection consists of 36 volumes of ledger covering the years 1871 to 1951. Also included are stock certificates, a scrapbook, catalogs, clippings, and some technical notes on belltones and correspondence with Professor Arthur T. Jones of the Physics Department at Smith College.

Location: Hudson-Mohawk Industrial Gateway, Foot of Polk St., Troy, NY 12180

B. – Records at NYSL

Account Books, 1870-1929.

Extent: 34 vols.

Scope and Content: Journals, cash books, and ledgers recording information on business transactions and items purchased and sold.

Location: Manuscripts & Special Collections, New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, Albany, NY 12230.

Rail Joint Company

Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY

Records, 1881-1970.

Extent: ca. 1 cu. ft.

Historical Note: The Rail Joint Company was a manufacturer of iron rails and other railroad products in South Troy. Its successor was the Portec Corporation, which closed the Troy plant in 1989.

Scope and Content: Includes technical specifications, drawings for rails, an order book (1898), payroll book (1881-1884), a detailed 1907 appraisal of plant and dwellings owned by the company, stock certificate book, and a book recording scrap materials received and paid for (1920-1924).

Location: Hudson-Mohawk Industrial Gateway, Foot of Polk St., Troy, NY 12180.

Note: The University at Albany Libraries Special Collections and Archives contains photocopies of records of the Local 8652 of the United Steelworkers of America for the year 1977 to 1989. This was the local which represented steelworkers at the Railway Products Division of Portec Corporation in Troy.

Ready Fund Raising Company

Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY

Records, ca. 1950-1988

Extent: ca. 30 cu. ft.

Historical Note: A leader in the business of supplying and selling fund raising programs to youth groups and church groups across the United States, Ready Fund Raising was founded in 1909 by Herbert S. Harp who had developed a gelatin dessert which he called Ready Jell. He began manufacturing the dessert on Green Island and making it available for churches and other organizations to sell in fund raising. The company moved to Lansingburgh in the 1950s and continues to be run by the Lewis family , descendants of the company’s founder. The firm stopped making Ready Jell in the early 1960s. A related business operated by the Lewis family, Lewis and Company, engages in a mail order business selling kits and parts for the making of rosaries.

Scope and Content: Correspondence files, ledgers and ledger cards, payrolls, and sales records.

Location: Ready Fund Raising Company, 391 Third Ave., Troy, NY 12181.

Rensselaer County Soldiers and Sailors Monument Association Records

Historical Note:
The Rensselaer County Soldiers and Sailors Monument Association was formed in October 1886 with the goal of constructing a monument honoring the soldiers from Rensselaer County who served in the military during the Civil War. The names of these soldiers were placed in a copper box at the base of the monument. The monument also honors all those who served and fought in all previous wars. It does so by an inscription of the names of battles listed on the monument base. The RCSSMA was responsible for choosing a design and builder for the monument., funding the construction of the monument, maintenance of the monument until 1950, the year the ownership of the monument was transferred to the City of Troy.


Scope Note:
The records contain correspondence between RCSSMA members and associates. The minutes of meetings documents the work of the RCSSMA from its origins to the construction of the monument. There are newspaper clippings about the monument, particularly the unveiling of it and the transfer of ownership in 1950 to the City of Troy. There are financial records and insurance policies, including a policy that paid for repairs needed after a 1903 fire in the vicinity of Broadway and River Street damaged the monument and records of donations by individuals and businesses. There are submissions of plans for the monument competition with estimates of construction costs and correspondence between the RCSSMA and architect, builders and suppliers of construction material. A bound volume (Box 6) includes minutes of meetings and many separate documents about the RCSSMA including the constitution, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other material.


Container List:

Box 1:
Folder 1: Meeting minutes of Oct. 21, 1886 of organization of RCSSMA. 
Folder 2: Minutes of RCSSMA, Nov. 29, 1886, presenting constitution and by-laws.
Folder 3: Articles of incorporation of RCSSMA with Board of Trustees & Advisory Committee names.
Folder 4: Correspondence of RCSSMA members and associates. Includes resignation of Arthur W. Bradley as Secretary and William Kemp as Treasurer.
Folder 5: Correspondence of RCSSMA and G.A.R. posts in re: representatives for Advisory Council.
Folder 6: RCSSMA blank certificate given to donors to authorize them to vote on design and location of monument. 
Folder 7: Invoice to RCSSMA for invitations for the laying of the monument cornerstone, March 7, 1890.
Folder 8: Responses to invitations for laying of cornerstone: acceptances
Folder 9: Responses to invitations for laying of cornerstone: regrets
Folder 10: Newspaper clippings; mainly announcement of plan to construct the Soldiers and Sailors Monument and formation of RCSSMA and the GAR Advisory Board
Folder 11: Documents related to the loan of four captured Confederate 12 pound bronze field guns from the Watervliet Arsenal for the base of the monument.
Folder 12: Responses to invitation to attend dedication ceremony of monument: Regrets
Folder 13: Correspondence related to damage to monument caused by a fire in vicinity of Broadway and River St. , 1903. 
Folder 14: Treasurer’s report for 1904 by William Kemp.
Folder 15: Correspondence in re: to cleaning monument after fire of November 3, 1903. Waterproofing and cleaning by sandblasting was done. Receipt for collection of $30 from a Pennsylvania insurance company.
Folder 16: Insurance policies for monument, 1905,-06,-12,-13. Also, related correspondence from 1891. Each policy notes condition of the monument. 
Folder 17: Bills for maintenance of the monument and landscape maintenance, 1911-1912.

Box 2: 
Folder 1: Bill from Troy Daily Times, 1889, for printing the circular for the monument design competition.
Folder 2: List of people who were sent circular about the monument competition.
Folder 3: Requests for competition circular and competition related information.
Folder 4: Monument competitions submissions, #2-6 (Charles H. Niehaus, C.M. Lang, George E. Bissell, MA St. John “Clark’s Island Granite Works,” J.W. Carpenter and Son.
Folder 5: Monument competitions submissions, #7-12 (Lazzari & Barton, Alex Doyle, M.H. Mosman (2 submissions), NE Monument Co. (C.B. Caulfield), Robert Cushing.
Folder 6: Monument competitions submissions, #13-15 (Albert R. Ross, P. Reinhalter & Co., (Paul J. Pelz, architect and Henry J. Ellicott, sculptor) with blueprint, J. Philipp Riim.

Box 3: 
Folder 1: Copyright from Library of Congress for monument design. Also, specifications for Fuller & Wheeler, architect and Frederick & Field for monument.
Folder 2: Correspondence between architect Fuller & Wheeler with Arthur W. Bradley, C.L. MacArthur and Frederick & Field.
Folder 3: Correspondence between A.J. Zabriskie, engineer for monument project with General Joseph B. Carr (Board of Gettysburg Monuments Commissioners), C.L. MacArthur and Arthur W. Bradley. Also included are two estimates to Frederick & Field.
Folder 4: Correspondence from Frederick Field to A.J. Zabriskie, C.L. MacArthur, Arthur W. Bradley. Also from Bradley to Zabriskie and Frederick & Field to Ausable Granite Works.
Folder 5: Research information for monument plaques; also document appointing Col. Sidney Park as compiler of list of soldier and sailor names from Rensselaer County in the Civil War. Also draft of battle information to be inscribed on plaques, including an incorrect date for Burgoyne’s surrender at Saratoga.

Box 4: 
Folder 1: Subscription books and other papers regarding donations for monument construction.
Folder 2: Correspondence related to donations for monument.
Folder 3: Papers from a subscription book.
Folder 4: Letter re: to souvenir for subscribers to the monument construction.
Folder 5: Subscription lists by firm with individual names and donations; including police, post office, and other public offices

Box 5: 
Folder 1: Original printing block for view of the monument.

Box 6: 
Bound record book of RCSSMA, ca. 1886-1949. Includes loose bills, correspondence related to illuminating the monument in 1903 with counter proposal and related newspaper clippings. Also includes the RCSSMA constitution (pp. 6-9), name and address of subcommittee members (p. 15), dedication ceremony invitation (pp. 85-89), newspaper clippings (pp. 90-98), dedication ceremony program (p.98), minutes of meetings, bills and correspondence, and a newspaper article about the transfer of monument to City of Troy in 1950.