Marcus Russell

United Spanish War Veterans

Camp Marcus D. Russell #2 Records

Rensselaer County sent troops to the Spanish-American War in Cuba in 1898 and one of these men, Marcus D. Russell was a member of Troop G, the Rough Riders, commanded by Theodore Roosevelt. Russell was killed in action at the battle of La Guasimas, Cuba on June 24, 1898. To honor his memory, the United Spanish War Veterans of Troy named their organization after him, i.e. Camp Marcus D. Russell #2. (A Surrogate Court record for Russell is in RCHS, File #278). One other Trojan died as a result of his service in Cuba; John Connolly, a bugler in Company D, First New York Infantry, was wounded and later died of yellow fever at his home at 484 Second Street, Troy, New York. Camp Russell was the second camp formed in the Department of New York of the U.S.W. V.. The first camp was formed in New York City and there were eventually about 131 camps in the Department of New York.

The Camp Russell group was an active participant in statewide and national meetings of the United Spanish War Veterans and remained active until 1968 with a commander at least until 1971. The records of Camp Russell consist of both local manuscript material and publications of the state and national organizations.

Container List:

Box 1:
Rules and Regulations of the United Spanish War Veterans, Boston, 1910 and Index volume, 1910. Includes mss. notes that these books are property of Camp Russell and its commander, Frank T. Wells and his successors, John Gillies and George Moore. (71.129.6-7).

Constitution and Rules and Regulations of the United Spanish War Veterans, Chicago, 1920. Note to give book to successor commander, i.e. Frank T. Wells to George Moore. (71.129.18) 
Constitution and Rules and Regulations of the United Spanish War Veterans, Washington, DC, 1951. (71.121.19)

Ritual of the United Spanish War Veterans, 1912. includes variety of information about conduct of meetings, colors, bugle calls, oaths, mustering and so forth. 2 copies. ((71.129.20, 32).

Book of Ceremonies of the United Spanish War Veterans, Forms and Procedures, 1912 with revisions from 1913, St. Louis, 1916, includes information about parades, installation of officers, muster days, memorial services, and so forth. (73.76.33)

Book of Ceremonies of the United Spanish War Veterans, 1928 edition. (71.129.21)

Box 2:
Minute Books of Monthly Meetings of Camp Russell #2, U.S.W. V., 1954-1965, 2 volumes. Meetings held at Noble-Callahan Post, Troy, New York. Minutes of business conducted at meeting, including treasurer’s reports, news of comrades who were ill or died, election of officers and other business. (71.129.22-23)

Ledger of names of U.S.W. V., Camp Russell members, ca. 1940-1961. The ledger is arranged alphabetically by veteran names and including name of veteran, address, occupation, dates of service, rank, company and regiment, discharge date, place and reason, date mustered into Camp Russell, birth place, and date, name and address of nearest relative, signature, remarks (deceased, transferred). (71.129.26)

Quartermaster’s Account Books of U.S.W.V., Camp Russell, 1955-1965, 2 volumes. The books include receipts and disbursements arranged monthly from January 1955-December 1959 and January 1960 to September 1965. Both volumes also include list of veterans who died 1957, 1958, 1959 (vol. 1) and 1960, 1961, (vol. 2). (71.129.24-25)

Ledger for recording dues paid by members, 1944-1961. Contains names and addresses of veterans with checkmarks for each year that dues were paid. Also has financial accounts of receipts and disbursements, 1952-1954. These accounts precede those accounts in above Quartermaster Accounts. (71.129.28)

Cards with memorial prayers and ritual programs to be used at meetings and memorial services. (71.129.40-44)

U.S.W. V., National Headquarters, Washington, DC, General Orders, 1962-1967. Include news of consolidated and disbanded camps, appointments, national encampments, convention programs, observances of holidays and other information. (71.129.35)

Forms used by U.S.W.V. for membership information , etc. An appointment form for John Gillies as Commander of Camp Russell, 1968. Also, one copy of the Proceedings of the …Convention of the 69th National Encampment of the U.S.W. V., San Antonio, Texas, 1967. (71.129.53)

Proceedings of the U.S.W.V., Dept. of New York, 65th Annual Encampment, Albany, NY 1968. Two letters from New York Dept. Commander Joseph A. Burkart to Camp Russell Commander Frank T. Wells about not disbanding the camp, which had 6 members in 1968. (71.129.54-56)

Flyer: Flag of Destiny, First Arkansas Infantry, Spanish War with statement on verso, “I am Proud to be a Spanish War Veteran.” (71.129.39)

Roster of the Camps, Dept. of New York, U.S.W.V., 1914 and Roster, 1962. Both include names of officers, names and addresses of the camps, local officers names, times of meetings and the 1962 roster includes the number of members for each camp. Also, a copy of the By-Laws of the M.D. Russell Camp No. 2, 1938. (71.129.36-38)

Program for a concert, review and reception of the Companies A, B, D of Troy and Company B of Cohoes of Camp Russell, at State Armory, Troy, NY April 27, 1905. Includes music played, order of dances, officers names.

Bulletin of U.S.W.V., Department of New York, 1961-1971. Includes names of officers, committees, resolutions, information about encampments, memorials, and elections. (71.129.34)

Blank letterhead stationary of U.S.W.V. M.D. Russell Camp No. 2. (71.129.27)

Rensselaer County Soldiers and Sailors Monument Association Records

Historical Note:
The Rensselaer County Soldiers and Sailors Monument Association was formed in October 1886 with the goal of constructing a monument honoring the soldiers from Rensselaer County who served in the military during the Civil War. The names of these soldiers were placed in a copper box at the base of the monument. The monument also honors all those who served and fought in all previous wars. It does so by an inscription of the names of battles listed on the monument base. The RCSSMA was responsible for choosing a design and builder for the monument., funding the construction of the monument, maintenance of the monument until 1950, the year the ownership of the monument was transferred to the City of Troy.

Scope Note:
The records contain correspondence between RCSSMA members and associates. The minutes of meetings documents the work of the RCSSMA from its origins to the construction of the monument. There are newspaper clippings about the monument, particularly the unveiling of it and the transfer of ownership in 1950 to the City of Troy. There are financial records and insurance policies, including a policy that paid for repairs needed after a 1903 fire in the vicinity of Broadway and River Street damaged the monument and records of donations by individuals and businesses. There are submissions of plans for the monument competition with estimates of construction costs and correspondence between the RCSSMA and architect, builders and suppliers of construction material. A bound volume (Box 6) includes minutes of meetings and many separate documents about the RCSSMA including the constitution, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other material.

Container List:

Box 1:
Folder 1: Meeting minutes of Oct. 21, 1886 of organization of RCSSMA. 
Folder 2: Minutes of RCSSMA, Nov. 29, 1886, presenting constitution and by-laws.
Folder 3: Articles of incorporation of RCSSMA with Board of Trustees & Advisory Committee names.
Folder 4: Correspondence of RCSSMA members and associates. Includes resignation of Arthur W. Bradley as Secretary and William Kemp as Treasurer.
Folder 5: Correspondence of RCSSMA and G.A.R. posts in re: representatives for Advisory Council.
Folder 6: RCSSMA blank certificate given to donors to authorize them to vote on design and location of monument. 
Folder 7: Invoice to RCSSMA for invitations for the laying of the monument cornerstone, March 7, 1890.
Folder 8: Responses to invitations for laying of cornerstone: acceptances
Folder 9: Responses to invitations for laying of cornerstone: regrets
Folder 10: Newspaper clippings; mainly announcement of plan to construct the Soldiers and Sailors Monument and formation of RCSSMA and the GAR Advisory Board
Folder 11: Documents related to the loan of four captured Confederate 12 pound bronze field guns from the Watervliet Arsenal for the base of the monument.
Folder 12: Responses to invitation to attend dedication ceremony of monument: Regrets
Folder 13: Correspondence related to damage to monument caused by a fire in vicinity of Broadway and River St. , 1903. 
Folder 14: Treasurer’s report for 1904 by William Kemp.
Folder 15: Correspondence in re: to cleaning monument after fire of November 3, 1903. Waterproofing and cleaning by sandblasting was done. Receipt for collection of $30 from a Pennsylvania insurance company.
Folder 16: Insurance policies for monument, 1905,-06,-12,-13. Also, related correspondence from 1891. Each policy notes condition of the monument. 
Folder 17: Bills for maintenance of the monument and landscape maintenance, 1911-1912.

Box 2: 
Folder 1: Bill from Troy Daily Times, 1889, for printing the circular for the monument design competition.
Folder 2: List of people who were sent circular about the monument competition.
Folder 3: Requests for competition circular and competition related information.
Folder 4: Monument competitions submissions, #2-6 (Charles H. Niehaus, C.M. Lang, George E. Bissell, MA St. John “Clark’s Island Granite Works,” J.W. Carpenter and Son.
Folder 5: Monument competitions submissions, #7-12 (Lazzari & Barton, Alex Doyle, M.H. Mosman (2 submissions), NE Monument Co. (C.B. Caulfield), Robert Cushing.
Folder 6: Monument competitions submissions, #13-15 (Albert R. Ross, P. Reinhalter & Co., (Paul J. Pelz, architect and Henry J. Ellicott, sculptor) with blueprint, J. Philipp Riim.

Box 3: 
Folder 1: Copyright from Library of Congress for monument design. Also, specifications for Fuller & Wheeler, architect and Frederick & Field for monument.
Folder 2: Correspondence between architect Fuller & Wheeler with Arthur W. Bradley, C.L. MacArthur and Frederick & Field.
Folder 3: Correspondence between A.J. Zabriskie, engineer for monument project with General Joseph B. Carr (Board of Gettysburg Monuments Commissioners), C.L. MacArthur and Arthur W. Bradley. Also included are two estimates to Frederick & Field.
Folder 4: Correspondence from Frederick Field to A.J. Zabriskie, C.L. MacArthur, Arthur W. Bradley. Also from Bradley to Zabriskie and Frederick & Field to Ausable Granite Works.
Folder 5: Research information for monument plaques; also document appointing Col. Sidney Park as compiler of list of soldier and sailor names from Rensselaer County in the Civil War. Also draft of battle information to be inscribed on plaques, including an incorrect date for Burgoyne’s surrender at Saratoga.

Box 4: 
Folder 1: Subscription books and other papers regarding donations for monument construction.
Folder 2: Correspondence related to donations for monument.
Folder 3: Papers from a subscription book.
Folder 4: Letter re: to souvenir for subscribers to the monument construction.
Folder 5: Subscription lists by firm with individual names and donations; including police, post office, and other public offices

Box 5: 
Folder 1: Original printing block for view of the monument.

Box 6: 
Bound record book of RCSSMA, ca. 1886-1949. Includes loose bills, correspondence related to illuminating the monument in 1903 with counter proposal and related newspaper clippings. Also includes the RCSSMA constitution (pp. 6-9), name and address of subcommittee members (p. 15), dedication ceremony invitation (pp. 85-89), newspaper clippings (pp. 90-98), dedication ceremony program (p.98), minutes of meetings, bills and correspondence, and a newspaper article about the transfer of monument to City of Troy in 1950.

Rice Cook Bull

Guide to Papers in the Collection

Biographical Note:
Rice Cook Bull was born in 1842 in Hartford, Washington County, New York. He was a farm boy before the Civil War, enlisted in 1862 and served in the 123rd New York Volunteer Infantry. After the war, he returned to Troy, New York where he was banker, Secretary-Treasurer of the Troy and New England Railroad, and a member of the Ninth Presbyterian Church in Troy. He died May 19, 1930. Several years after the Civil War, he wrote his recollections of his experiences in the conflict. His son George had the recollections transcribed. A typescript of those recollections was used by K. Jack Bauer in his published edition entitled, Soldiering: The Civil War Diary of Rice C. Bull, 123rd New York Volunteer Infantry, 1977.

These papers consist of Bull’s 1864 diary, letters of Bull, the original manuscript of Bull’s recollections, a typescript of that manuscript, the manuscript of K. Jack Bauer’s book, a photograph of Bull as a Civil War soldier, and miscellaneous related items. He served at Chancellorsville, in Tennessee, in the Atlanta and Carolinas campaigns and his recollections are a vivid recounting of his experiences during the war.

Container List:

Box 1:
Original manuscript of my recollections of the Civil War, by Rice C. Bull, n.d.. 
“From the diary of Rice C. Bull, Sergeant Company D 123rd Regiment N.Y. Vol. Inf. kept for the period of service of that Regiment September 4, 1862-June 8, 1865.” (Typed transcript. (74.12.1)

Box 2:
Diary of Rice C. Bull, Co. D, N.Y.V., Jan. 10, 1864-January 1, 1865. (76.164.20). 
Correspondence of Rice Bull,1862-1863; original letters and transcriptions.
Letters from Rice Bull:
to his brother Gurdon, Washington, DC, Sept. 11, 1962 (76.164.1)
to Gurdon, Camp Chase, Arlington Hgts., VA, Sept 21,1862 (76.164.2)
to Gurdon, near Harpers Ferry, Oct. 5, 1862 (76.164.3)
to Gurdon, Pleasant Valley, VA, Oct 21, 1862 (76.164.4)
to Gurdon, Hospital, Harpers Ferry, Nov. 20, 1862 (76.164.5)
to Gurdon, Loudon Valley, VA, Dec. 7, 1862 (76.164.6)
to Gurdon, Fairfax Station, VA, Dec. 19, 1862 (76.164.7)
to Gurdon,Fairfax Station, VA, Dec. 25, 1862 (76.164.8)
to Gurdon, near Fairfax Station, VA, Jan. 11, 1863 (76.164. 9)
to Gurdon, near Stafford Court House, Jan. 30, 1863 (76.164.10)
to brother George, near Stafford Court House, VA, Feb. 6, 1863, (76.164.11)
to Gurdon, Camp William, VA, April 5, 1863 (76.164.12)
to Gurdon, Camp William, VA, April 26, 1863 (76.164.13) 
to George, Aquia Creek, May 17, 1863 (76.164.14)
Other Correspondence:
N[athaniel] Bull to Rice Cook, [Hartford, NY] June 12, 1842, (76.146.19): Letter mentions birth of Rice Cook Bull. 
Letters (2) of Enoch Squires, Research Associate, New York State Civil War Centennial Commission to Ralph Mather Jillson, 1962 and Miss Helen Bull, 1963 related to Rice Bull’s diary and cane. Also one letter from Jillson to Miss Bull, 1962 (76.164.15-16)
Printed Material:
New York State Centennial Commission,, New York State and the Civil War, Nov. 1962 issue with article “Sergeant Bull gets a cane and wins a Rebel friend.” (76.164.17)
Daguerreotype photograph of Rice Bull in dag. frame and larger frame.(78.74.2)
Photographic print, enlarged, of photograph of Sergeant Rice Bull, n.d. ca. 1862-63. (64.113)
Newspaper clipped article. Troy Record, 1/15/1978, by Jack Casey, “Civil War Diaries paint grim picture.”

Box 3:
K. Jack Bauer, manuscript of his book, Soldiering including some research notes. (77.58.1-4).

Note: The Rensselaer County Historical Society also owns Bull’s cane.

The Second Regiment of the National Guard of the State of New York

Historical Note: 
The Second Regiment of the National Guard of the State of New York (2nd NGSNY) established its first connection with Rensselaer County in 1876, when a reorganization of New York’s National Guard reassigned the Second regiment from New York City to Troy. The Second lay dormant in peacetime, but was activated in wartime as several independent militia companies folded into the unit. The Headquarters company and Companies A (Troy Citizens’ Corps), C (Tibbits Veteran Corps) and D (Tibbits Cadets) came from Troy, and Company M (32nd Separate Company) came from Hoosick Falls. The Second volunteered as a unit for wartime service in 1898 for the Spanish-American War; the unit (known commonly as the “Second New York State Volunteers”) did not see action, but spent the conflict training at various camps in Georgia, Florida and Rensselaer County. The Federal government called up the Second again in 1916 for service along the Mexican border, supporting the Punitive Expedition against Pancho Villa; the regiment did duty along the Rio Grande, and suffered no losses. Upon U.S. entry into the First World War in 1917, the Second was again called for Federal service and assigned to the 27th Division, where it was redesignated the 105th Infantry Regiment.

Scope Note:
This collection is a variety of memorabilia and scrapbooks of the regiment’s service. The vast majority of the materials deal with the Spanish-American War, with other items pertaining to the Mexican border service, First World War, and peacetime service of Troy militia units.

Container List:

Box 1:
This box contains six envelopes and two scrapbooks, as follows:
Muster Roll of Company A, 2nd NGSNY: It covers the period 1 June – 31 August 1898. This is a list of all men who enlisted in Company A, with information on each man’s height, weight, where enlisted and by whom, and any additional remarks if necessary. Also included is a roster of Company A by rank and exact position in the line of battle, and a second (more informal) muster roll for August 1898. (41.21.10, 12,13)

Quarterly Return of Ordnance and Ordnance Stores for Company A, for the Quarter Ending 30 September 1898: This document lists all arms and equipment issued to Company A in detail. Every item the company received is listed here, except ammunition. (41.21.3-4)

Quarterly Return of Ordnance and Ordnance Stores for Company A, for the Quarter Ending 30 September 1898: This is a copy of the above document. (41.21.5-6)

Quarterly Return of Ordnance and Ordnance Stores for Company A, for the Quarter Ending 31 December 1898: This is the same form and contains similar information to the above returns. This document covers the period 1 October – 31 December 1898. (41.21.7)

Folder: This contains a souvenir program of the Second’s triumphal return parade in Troy on 27 August 1898. This program gives information on who was involved in the procession and what route it took through the city. (60.97)

Folder: This item is the program of the opening of the enlarged state armory in downtown Troy on 18 March 1903. It includes a list of all the companies that comprised the Second, plus a list of regimental officers. (60.99)

Scrapbook – “April 2. 1898 to June 1. 1898”: This book covers the period immediately before the outbreak of war, the regiment’s recruitment and dispatch southward. Materials of note include numerous newspaper clippings containing many rosters of NGSNY Separate Companies (some of which would fold into the Second), coverage of the Troy Citizens’ Corps (with a wartime roster), and formation of the Second Regiment NGSNY. Also pasted into the book are several original pictures of officers, including Colonel Edwin D. Hardin, the Second’s commanding officer. (74.46.21A)

Scrapbook – “June 1 1898 to July 23 1898”: This book is a continuation of the previous scrapbook, and contains more newspaper clippings about the regiment. This covers the regiment’s move to camp around Tampa, Florida, and has some interesting original photographs of the unit in the Sunshine State. Newspaper clippings discuss camp life, the possibility of going to Cuba, training and maneuvers. A few items discuss wartime Troy, but most clippings are about the Second. Two notable deaths are mentioned: a private killed by lightning in Tampa, and Sergeant Marcus D. Russell of Troy, who was a Rough Rider and “the first Trojan to fall under the Spanish fire.” (74.46.21.B)

Box 2:
This box holds two scrapbooks, which include:

Scrapbook – “July 24. 1898 to Aug 29. 1898”: This follows the two scrapbooks in Box 1. The book contains more newspaper accounts of the Second, and discusses camp life in Florida, the move to a new camp in Fernandina, rumors about going to Puerto Rico, and wartime Troy. Also included are several group photographs in camp, and accounts of other Rensselaer County men fighting in the war; among the latter is a good account of Santiago in the 24 July paper. A great deal of the clippings toward the end deal with the regiment’s transfer to Troy in preparation for muster out, and include good details about the Second’s triumphal return and camp (Camp Hardin) in Averill Park. (74.46.21C)

Scrapbook – “Aug 29 1898 to Sept. 30 1898”: This is the last scrapbook in the set, and covers the regiment’s arrival at Camp Hardin and muster out. The first page has a good sketch map of the camp’s location in Averill Park. Further clippings cover additional units at Camp Hardin and vignettes of other Rensselaer County men fighting in the war. (74.46.21D)

Box 3:
This box holds two books and two scrapbooks, covering a wide variety of topics.

Manual for Non-Commissioned Officers and Privates of Infantry, 1917: On the inside front cover is the markings “Co. G No. 8.” This book was given to all NCOs and enlisted men upon joining up. It gives details on such matters as discipline, hygiene, French, and care of the 1903 Springfield rifle. Everything a soldier needed to know to survive in the First World War was in this book. (73.90.12)

Courts-Martial Manual, 1898: Inside bears the mark “Co. A, 2nd N.Y. Inf.” This book contains the legal Articles of War as they existed in 1898, and also gives all procedures necessary to settle military justice in the U.S. Army (the Navy and Marine Corps had a separate book). (81.6.1)

Scrapbook: It has a picture of a raven on the front cover, and quotes from Edgar Allen Poe’s poem: “Quoth the raven – NEVERMORE.” This scrapbook, which is in poor shape, contains a variety of materials pertaining to Troy militia units in the period 1890-1910. Most newspaper clippings and items deal with the Tibbits Cadets (21st Separate Company). Highlights include several pages of amazing pictures of the Second NGSNY during the Spanish-American War, newspaper clippings about the dedication of the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument in Troy, and various items relating to the Cadets’ activities suppressing riots in Buffalo in 1892. Pasted in the back are orders, paperwork, and other miscellany from the 1890s. (73.72.2)

Scrapbook: This is simply titled “Scrap Book.” The inside markings identify this as the former property of Private James F. Matthews, and the book covers the Second’s Mexican border service in 1916. Among the items in this compilation are some pictures of the regiment and the places they served, interspersed with newspaper clippings about the Second’s operations supporting the Punitive Expedition. (76.56.114)

Tibbets Cadets Collection

Historical Note: 
The Tibbits Cadets were the 21st Separate Company of New York State Militia, and existed from 1876 through the 1960s. During wartime the company became Company D of the 2nd Regiment New York State National Guard (later known as the 105th Infantry Regiment). As part of the 2nd/105th the Cadets served in the Spanish American War, the 1916 Punitive Expedition into Mexico, and both the First and Second World Wars. In both World Wars the 105th was a part of the 27th Division.

The Collection: 
The collection contains two scrapbooks which were both originally the property of Jesse M. Slattery, who was a veteran of the Cadets and later was very active in reunion organizations. Additional material includes a folder containing a typed history of the Cadets.

The first scrapbook, marked “World Wars I and II,” contains many newspaper clippings on 27th Division activities in France during 1918, including many casualty lists. Also included is a serialized history of the 27th Division during the First World War by Major General John F. O’Ryan, its former commander. World War II-era clippings cover many aspects of wartime Troy, American decorations and campaign ribbons, 27th Division campaigns during the Second World War, and 25th-Anniversary retrospectives on the First World War.

The second scrapbook is marked “Military” on the front cover, and on the back is marked “US Presidents, Clippings of Me.” This contains various 1950s and 60s-era clippings and memorabilia about the Cadets. Much of the book contains published profiles of American presidents, politicians, generals, and other historical figures. At the back can be found historical and reunion information about the 27th Division; of note there is a roster of Tibbits Cadets men who were in the 1916 Punitive Expedition (notations have been made as to who was dead in 1965). In the back endpapers are programs from various regimental balls and soirees. Of particular interest here is a 1930 program from one of these events, which has pictures of all the officers and a short history of the regiment.

A photocopied typescript titled History of Tibbits Cadets 1876-1957 is in the collection. This is a comprehensive document containing a chronology of the Cadets, a biography of William Tibbits, rosters, lists of casualties, and notes on the unit’s activities after the Second World War. The front cover features a reproduction of the unit crest. This is a significant source on the Cadets, and is full of useful information.

William Taylor

Capt. William D. Taylor 125th Regiment
New York State Volunteers Records

Historical Note:
The 125th Regiment was raised in Troy and towns in Rensselaer County and was commanded by Col. George L. Willard. The regiment was mustered in August 1862 and remained until the end of the Civil War, during which 243 men of the regiment died. Within one month of enlistment the regiment found itself at Harper’s Ferry and the entire regiment was surrendered to the Confederate forces under Stonewall Jackson. After being paroled and sent to Camp Douglas in Chicago during the winter of 1862-1863, the regiment returned to battle at Chancellorsville and later at Gettysburg, where the men of the regiment fought with heroism and lost many men, including their commander, Col. Willard. The regiment continued in action at Mine Run, Bristoe Station, the entire Wilderness Campaign, the Petersburg assaults and the remainder of the war up to Appomattox. The regiment with 214 enlisted men and 20 officers returned home on July 8, 1865 having fought in over 20 battles. Capt William D. Taylor lived in Troy, NY, was a captain in the 125th Regiment and was Treasurer of the Brigade Monument Fund. He was also the President of the 125th Regiment Association in 1888.

Records of the 125th Regiment, NYS Volunteers
A book of detailed information about the 125th Regiment, compiled after the war and including: list of the officer field and staff by name with information about them; lists of recruits for each company by name with notes about each person (killed, wounded, discharged, etc.); list of veterans who attended the unveiling of a monument at Gettysburg on Oct. 1, 1888 with a description of the unveiling; information about the regiment copied from F. Pfisterer’s work; a broadside dated Troy, Nov. 30, 1888 asking for contributions for a monument to be erected at Gettysburg in honor of the Brigade that fought there on July 2, 1863; a list of the marches with distances made by the regiment; clippings about the regiment; information about Capt. Taylor’s service. Also a pamphlet “Gem Souvenir of Gettysburg” by Penrose Myers, Jeweler in Gettysburg, who also sold souvenir sword pins and spoons of the battle. Also a separate volume index of names of members of the 125th regiment with notes about the names; (not a complete list of the regiment). (Acc. 63.388-389)

Capt. William D. Taylor
Volumes, (5) of indexed names of men in the various companies in the 125th Regiment with information about the person (transferred, dead, killed in action, etc.). Volumes are labeled and contain information as follows: Companies A & F; Companies B and G; Companies E & K; Companies C & H; Companies D & I. (Acc. 63.114-118)

One volume including information about men in all companies; also a list of battles regiment fought with dates; also three pages with names of veterans and their service record clipped from a publication and pasted in the volume. (Acc. 63.113)