Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY
Records, ca. 1928-
Extent: ca. 50 cu. ft.
Historical Note: Marvin Neitzel Corporation, manufacturer of nurses uniforms, traces its heritage back to a collar and cuff manufacturing company founded in Troy in 1845 by William Gunnison and Walter Stewart. Through the nineteenth century the firm evolved into Gunnison, Stewart and Company, Gunnison and Son, and then Gunnison and Marvin in 1886 when E. W. Marvin joined the firm. The firm was incorporated in 1908 as E. W. Marvin Company. Although nurses’ collars and cuffs had been part of the business for years, it was not until after Raymond P. Neitzel joined the firm in 1917 that a full line of hospital products was developed. The firm became Marvin Neitzel Corporation in 1931. Long located at Fifth and Fulton Street in Troy, the company moved to 444 River Street in 1974.
Scope and Content: Board minutes, by-laws annual statement of accounts (1928-1956), legal and patent papers, a few specs for clothing, and an appraisal of the Fifth Avenue property. The bulk of the records, however, date from after the firm’s relocation to River street in 1974. These include accounting records, orders, invoices, and payrolls.
Location: Marvin Neitzel Corporation, 444 River St., Troy, NY 12180. For access, contact the company.